Apprenticeship and Traineeship Funding
What is User Choice?
The User Choice program provides a public funding contribution towards the cost of training and assessment services for eligible Queensland apprentices and trainees.
The program provides the flexibility for apprentices, trainees and their employers to select a preferred Supervised Registered Training Organisation (SRTO) from a list of pre-qualified suppliers for the delivery of nationally recognised, accredited training to meet their specific needs.
The program works in conjunction with the Commonwealth Australian Apprenticeships System, under which apprentices and trainees (also known in some jurisdictions as “Australian Apprentices”) enter into legally binding training contracts with their employers and receive structured training to achieve a nationally recognised qualification.
Fee-free apprenticeships for Under 25’s
The User Choice program offers free apprenticeships for those aged under 25 with subsidised training for 139 priority apprenticeships and traineeships. QTIS provides comprehensive information on all apprenticeships and traineeships that are approved in Queensland, including the priority level and government contribution.
User Choice Student Contribution Fees
Student Contribution Fees do apply to certain applicants and are charged at the rate of $1.60 per nominal hour based on the nominal hours for each enrolled unit of competency. There are some categories for exemption of these fees. If you fall into any of the exemption categories listed below please advise us immediately.
For further information, please visit the User Choice webpage on the Queensland Government’s Department of Employment, Small Business and Training website. You can also call us on 1300 852 852 or contact us via any of the methods on our Contact Us page.
User Choice Student Partial Exemption
Construction Industry Training must charge 40 % of the Student Contribution Fee where the student falls into one or more of the following exemption categories:
- Was or will be under 17 at the end of February in the year of training, is not at school and has not completed year 12;
- Holds a Health Care Card or Pensioner Card issued under Commonwealth law, or is the partner or a dependent of a person who holds a Health Care card or Pensioner concession card, and is named on the card;
- Presents an official form under Commonwealth law confirming that the student, his or her partner or the person of whom the student is a dependent, is entitled to concessions under a Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card;
- Is an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person.
User Choice Student Full Exemption
Construction Industry Training may apply a full exemption from the Student Contribution Fee where:
- The student is under 25 years and undertaking a ‘free’ apprenticeship
- Is a school-based apprentice/trainee
- Where the payment of the a student contribution fee would cause the student extreme financial hardship (written application with supporting evidence to RTO Management is required)
- On units of competency where credit transfer/national recognition has been applied.
What User Choice subsidised qualifications does Construction Industry Training offer?
I’d Like To Know More
For General Enquires, speak to one of our team members by phoning 1300 222 338.
Otherwise, enter your details below and send us a message – we’ll get back you as soon as possible.